At the time Sir Albert Cook founded Mengo Hospital min 1897, dental treatment then consisted primarily of tooth extraction. This treatment was performed by the medical staff. A dental clinic was opened in the outpatient department in early 1980. It was staffed by one Dentist and one Chairside Assistant working with one Dental chair.
The Clinic steadily grew in terms of staff and equipment. By 1987, three Public Health Dental Officers (PHDA) had joined the Dental Surgeon and there were five Chairs in operation. Almost all the equipment being used then was secondhand, and had been provided by donors. In the same year (1987), Makerere University graduated its first lot of Dental Surgeons and Mengo Dental Clinic began receiving Dental Interns for training.
The Dental department currently offers a wide range of dental services, which should enable it to continue to attract clients and generate the needed revenue for its smooth operation. These wide range of dental services include; Minor oral surgical procedures, Restorative dentistry, Orthodontic treatment, Minor periodontal procedures, Cosmetic dentistry, Dental community outreach, Dental implants treatment and many more