Mengo Hospital Celebrating 120 Yearsadmin
Mengo Hospital is organizing the 120th Anniversary to mark the founding of the Hospital, by Sir Albert Cook on 22nd February 1897. He saw his first patients under a Mango tree. Later he constructed a mud and wattle grass–thatched hut. His humble clinic resulted into the present day Mengo Hospital in particular and modern medicine in Uganda in general.
- The 120th anniversary celebrations started on 22nd February 2017 with prayers at the Mengo Hospital Chapel.
- The climax of the Anniversary celebrations will take place from Monday 20th March to Sunday 26th 2017, starting with a free Medical Camp at Mengo Hospital, which will run up to Wednesday 22nd March
- The First ever Sir Albert Cook Memorial Lecture will be held on Wednesday 22nd March at Makerere University from 4 pm.
The theme of the Memorial Lecture is:
HOLISTIC PATIENT-CENTRED CARE; A KEY TRANSFORMATION STRATEGY IN MODERN MEDICINE PRACTISE
- Thursday 23rd March 2017- Open Day to show- case the services of Mengo Hospital to the general public.
- Friday 24th March – A get together fund raising drive to raise UGX 300 million to construct an Emergency unit at and renovate the General Out patients Department.
- Friends of Mengo Uganda Association will be launched then.
- Special guests; representatives of Friends of Mengo Uk, and Friends of Mengo USA and Canada are expected to attend the festivities
- The 120 Anniversary festivities will be crowned with a Thanksgiving Service at Namirembe Cathedral at 10 am.
OBJECTIVES OF THE EVENTS
- To commemorate the introduction of modern medicine in Uganda.
- To honour Sir Albert Cook posthumously, for founding MH & modern medicine in Uganda.
- To bring together medical professionals, stakeholders and partners to discuss challenges in the medical sector today, and come up with interventions.
- To chart a way forward for quality medical services in Uganda.
- To increase awareness about the services offered at Mengo Hospital.
- To consolidate relationship with existing Mengo Hospital partners and clientele.
- To establish new partnerships and networks.
For further information on this matter, please contact our Customer Care/Public Relations Officer Mrs. Margaret Mawanda, on Mob. 0772 474 099 or 0706 474 099