This is the oldest Nursing and Midwifery School in Uganda. It was the first School for Nursing and Midwifery in Uganda and East Africa as a whole, and is known as the heart of medicine in Uganda. The School was founded by Mrs. Catherine Cook (then wife to Sir Albert Cook, the Founder of Medicine in Uganda.). She started by training 8 Enrolled Midwives in 1917, and in 1928 she started training Enrolled Nurses.
With time new programmes were introduced:
Registered Midwifery in 1976
Registered Nursing in 1979 and
Enrolled Comprehensive Nursing in 2006
Courses offered at the School:
Registered Nursing and Midwifery (Diploma) 18 months –Extension course.
Enrolled Comprehensive Nursing (Certificate) two and half years.
Enrolled Nursing and Midwifery (Certificate) two and half years.
The School is affiliatedto: Ministry of Education and Sports (BTVET), Uganda Nurses and Midwives Examination Board, Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council and the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau.
Vision of the School
To be a Centre of Excellence in the Production of Comprehensively Trained Nursing Professionals.
Mission of the School
“To produce a highly competent and responsible Nurse with a positive attitude, guided by Christian values to deliver holistic health care services