The Counselling and Home care department, also called the HIV clinic, started in 1988 with support from an Irish Doctor, Dr, Brown Lee (RIP.)
- In 1989, 69 clients were officially registered in care, however the services and knowledge on HIV care and treatment were limited. There was no space and skilled manpower.
- In 1994, at the peak of the epidemic, when about 18% of the Ugandan population was infected with HIV and a significant number of deaths were as a result of AIDS, we noted a growing number of clients who were becoming terminally ill and bedridden from AIDS, the clinic implemented the home care and visitation program with support from the TEAR fund.
- In 1994, Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) started training counsellors in HIV care.
- From 1996 to 2000 with support from International Care and Relief (ICR), the food aid project started. Through this project, Mengo hospital reached out to HIV/AIDS clients with food rations comprising of beans, maize flour, rice, and cooking oil.
- In 1997, we noted a growing number of HIV infected children, but there were no policies to test children and no guidelines to treat children, a number of children were also orphaned due to AIDS! With support from the Grant Charitable Trust UK, the Saturday club to support HIV infected children began.
- In 1998, through the Drug Access Initiative, the hospital was accredited to start giving Anti-Retroviral therapy; however, the medicines were not free.
- In 1998, we noted a growing need to treat Tuberculosis, little did we know that the two diseases were related, we opened the chest clinic to address TB needs at the hospital.
- In 2007 – to date, the comprehensive HIV chronic care package and preventive strategies to clients in Kampala District began with support from Presidents Emergency plan for AIDS relief (PEPFAR) in Africa.
- In 2009, the Orange sweet potatoes project began with funding from MCC and technical assistance obtained from Harvest Plus/ the international sweet potato centre.
- In 2015 we started offering Viral load testing services